Back from Key West and I'm feeling inspired by the Cuban flavors of the food and beautiful ocean's! But... first things first, the pantry is empty and it's cold and snowy outside. So, I've come up with a simple and tasty soup to warm things back up. It's a little spicy and healthy too, which is a necessity after coming back from a vacation where we ate entirely too much! You can substitute any canned or frozen vegetable you have in this one, so get creative and have some fun.
1 can RO*TEL
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 can yellow corn kernels (pureed in a food processor)
1 cup green peas
1 can black eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
2 tsp. fresh cilantro
1. Heat Rotel and stewed tomatoes to a simmer on the stovetop.
2. Add vegetable broth.
3. Stir in pureed corn kernals. This will add a thickness as well as a sweet flavor to compliment the heat from the Rotel.
4. Add green peas and black eyed peas.
5. Add water as needed to reach desired thickness.
6. Top with fresh cilantro, parsley and add a few tortilla chips on the side for some crunch.